Service Learning facilitates the hands on expression of Christ’s love for others especially in the marginalized and the poor. Service learning is rooted in Catholic Social Teaching. This is summarized in the United States Catholic Bishops document on the seven themes of Catholic Social Teaching.
Service Learning coordinates weekly events for students, faculty and staff. These events include:
- Habitat for Humanity
- Immokalee Housing & Family Services Childcare
- Immokalee Foundation Tutoring & Mentoring
- Virtus Mentoring Program
- FIAT: Faith in Action – youth and young adult groups
- Immokalee Soccer School
AMU sophomore Lauren Hebert hangs clothes at Daya Dan, a home for disabled children in Calcutta, where the students volunteered and helped lift the spirits of the young residents.
Service Learning Core Team initiatives accomplished this semester:
- One homeless night event for AMU students (Mary’s Meals)
- Pope Benedict Service Project benefiting the Friendship House & Guadalupe Center
- Swipe for Life Drive benefiting the Friendship House
- Donations Drive benefiting the St. Matthew’s House, Salvation Army & St. Vincent de Paul
- Service Learning Appreciation Party