Ubiratan Rezende is Associate Professor of the Department of Politics at Ave Maria University. He came to Ave Maria University in 2007 from Brazil after successfully managing a political campaign for the Brazilian Senate in the State of Santa Catarina. He served the Organization of the American States as its Chief of Staff, in Washington D.C., The World Bank as a Consultant, in Washington D.C., and The La Roche College as its Dean of Graduate Programs, in Pittsburgh. His research interests include the legitimacy of political regimes, the politics of economics, business as a political phenomenon and history of political ideas. He teaches courses in Comparative Politics, History of Political Thought, Management and Ethics and Business Law. Dr. Rezende holds the degrees of Juris Doctor from the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, M.P.A from the University of Southern California, a Ph.D. from the University of Southern California and a Master in Theology from the John Lateran University’s John Paul II Institute. He has taught at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil and at Paul Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) of Johns Hopkins University.
Dr. Rezende spent the last five months shuttling between the US and Brazil where he was in charge of designing the political strategy, the political discourse and of setting up the operational team of Senator Raymond Colombo’s campaign for Governor of the State of Santa Catarina. Dr. Rezende co-managed Mr. Colombo’s bid for the Brazilian Senate three years ago and was called back to assist in the strategic planning of Senator Colombo’s next political move. Dr. Rezende took a leave of his teaching assignments during the Fall Semester but continued at the direction of the Business Institute. He is now back full time to AMU and already preparing the courses he will offer in the Spring of next year both in the Department of Politics where he is an Associate Professor and in the Business Institute.
- Master in Theological Studies, 1992
- John Paull II Institute, Washington, DC (Pontificia Universitas Lateranensis, Rome)
- Ph.D. in Public Administration, 1978
- University of Southern California
- Master in Public Administration, 1977
- University of Southern California
- Specialist in Systems Methodology and Organization Development, 1976
- University of Southern California Specialist in Teaching Methodologies, 1973
- University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil Bachelor of Law, 1971
- Dean of UNICA Business School, State of Santa Catarina, Brazil, 2005 to 2006
- COO of IEA/KnowTec Ltd., provider of e-learning business training and competitive intelligence systems in
- Florianopolis, SC Brazil July 2004 to 2005
- Senior Vice President International Operations of MASTEC, INC., Telecommunications construction
- services provider in the USA 1996-1999
- Director of Planning and Executive Vice President of PERDIGÃO S.A. COMÉRCIO E INDÚSTRIA, holding company of the Perdigão Group, second largest food processing company and agrobusiness in Brazil 1985 to 1987
- COO of TV BARRIGA VERDE, TV station in the State of Santa Catarina, Brazil 1984-1986.
Public Sector Experience
- Consultant for THE WORLD BANK Information Services Group/Informatics Advisory Service, Washington, D.C. 2003 to 2005.
- Marketing Director of BRAZIL'S TOURIST BOARD, Board of Directors, Brasilia, Brazil. 2001-2002.
- COO of SMALL BUSINESS AGENCY, Board of Directors, Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil.2000-2001.
- State Secretary of Management in the STATE GOVERNMENT OF SANTA CATARINA, BRAZIL. 1999-2000.
- Chief of Staff of the ORGANIZATION OF AMERICAN STATES, Washington, D.C. 1987-1989
- Executive Director of BRAZILIAN INVESTMENTS S.A., a Subsidiary of the National Development Bank of Brazil. 1980-1981
ASSOCIATE PPROFESSOR Department of Politics and The Institute for Business, Ave Maria University, Naples, FL
FULL PROFESSOR, Unisul (University of Southern Santa Catarina)
Management and International Relations Graduate Program, Brazil, 2001-2004.
DEAN OF GRADUATE STUDIES AND INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
La Roche College, Pittsburgh, PA, 1995-1996
The Paul Nitze School of Advanced International Studies The Johns Hopkins University, Washington, DC, 1991-1993
Management School, University of Santa Catarina, Brazil, 1979-1992
PROFESSOR OF INTERNATIONAL LAW
University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil and University of Vale do Rio dos Sinos, Brazil, 1973-1979
Fluent in Portuguese, English and Spanish; working knowledge of French and Italian.