Ave Maria University is seeking a full-time Bursar. This position reports to the Vice President for Finance and Administration and is responsible for ensuring that all Undergraduate/Graduate, Full-Time/Part-Time students accounts are billed and collected accurately and timely throughout the academic year. This position must work effectively with all related functional areas of the University including Registrar, Housing, Financial Aid and Admissions.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
· Post tuition and fee charges in the University’s tuition management software system (PowerCampus)
· Issue bills for all students, (includes checking for accuracy of all charges and credits.)
· Answer phone inquiries from students and parents regarding student accounts and advise them on payment methods, (e.g., installment payments with CashNet,) as well as referring them to the Student Financial Aid Office for information on loans and other types of financial aid.
· Assess late fees to overdue accounts, according to University policy.
· Reverse various student charges as needed (health insurance, late fee etc.)
· Ensure that all students have paid their tuition or have arranged to pay it in some other way (e.g., through CashNet,) before allowing them to start classes.
· Monitor monthly payment plan progress - be proactive in assisting students who may have fallen delinquent.
· Submit requests for refund checks to students who have a credit on their account.
· Manage all accounts placed with collection agency.
· Coordinate with Student Financial Aid to ensure that all awards are posted.
· Coordinate with Registrar to ensure that all charges are generated and posted.
· Maintain collection system to minimize account balances to be written off.
· Coordinate with Registrar to "clear" students before registering for the next semester.
· Handle all contracts and collection for outside facility rentals.
· Work with Controller to prepare required audit schedules.
· Assist Controller and Vice President for Administration and Finance with various office duties as needed.
· Update related sections of the Student Handbook as needed.
· Ensuring the website is updated with changes - specifically once Tuition and Fees are set for the following academic year.
Qualifications and Skills
· Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business required (will consider work experience in lieu of a degree.)
· Experience with PowerCampus, a plus.
· Experience with Great Plains, a plus.
· Prior Bursar or other experience in an academic setting, a plus.
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel and Word applications.
· Minimum of three years' experience in accounting and account reconciliations required.
· Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills required, along with ability to manage multiple projects.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested applicants should send a letter of application and résumé describing previous professional and specialized experience and education to the following address:
Ms. Maureen Joyce
VP for Finance and Administration
POSITION AVAILABILITY: Position will remain open until filled.
Ave Maria University does not discriminate in employment opportunities, practices or the terms and conditions of employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.