Economics addresses some of the most important questions of society and human behavior and is a fascinating subject of study. At the same time, it is intimately related to day-to-day life and is an indispensable guide for practical decision-making.
Employment Opportunities for Economics Majors
*Please note that some of the occupations listed require further education.
Skills of Economics Majors with Professional Value
- Ability to consult on business matters
- Ability to prepare and write reports
- Ability to recognize economic trends and patterns
- Able to collect and organize data
- Computer literacy
- Conduct and clearly explain scientific research
- Critical thinking and research skills
- Excellent proficiency in oral and written expression
- Thorough knowledge of economic principles and statistical procedures
Strategies for Increasing Employability
- Participate in Internships
- Plan on graduate degree for advancement.
- Acquire advanced math and statistical knowledge.
- Develop ability to think in theoretical terms and apply to practical situations.
- Join relevant student organizations to develop leadership skills.
- Gain experience through part-time, summer, or internship positions in financial service firms
- Become the financial officer or treasurer of a campus organization
- Earn an MBA
- Earn a master's degree in public health or hospital administration
- Obtain certification for public school positions
- Obtain experience working with young people
- Develop strong public speaking skills