Financial Planning Calendar
- Parents and students are encouraged to complete their annual Income Tax Return as soon as possible. Application for federal aid is available on January 1 of every year for the following academic year. As soon as your return is filed, you may apply for financial assistance online by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. The AMU Federal School Code is 039413.You may also use estimated tax figures and revise your FAFSA at a later date after you have filed.
- If you are applying for aid for the first time, request a Personal Identification Number for yourself and your parents (if dependent by FAFSA guidelines)at the U.S. Department of Education Website at http://www.pin.ed.gov. If you have received aid in the past, your PIN can be used each year to sign your FAFSA, access the DOE website to make corrections to your FAFSA, and check on the status of your FAFSA. Parents who apply for a PIN may also use the same PIN each year, as well as using the same PIN to electronically sign the FAFSA for more than one dependent attending college.
- Regularly check your email for notification of your processed FAFSA and Student Aid Report (SAR) result of your FAFSA.
- If you are selected for verification as indicated on your Student Aid Report (SAR) Comments, please submit a signed copy of your tax return (and your parents' Tax Return if a dependent student) accompanied by the AMU Federal Verification Worksheet. Please do not send tax returns unless you have been selected for verification. The requirement will appear as a missing document on Self-Service. AMU will not be able to provide you an award letter without your documentation. Missing information will delay your financial aid processing.
- Let the AMU Financial Aid Office (FAO) know of any scholarships or grants received from private sources. Need-based aid may require adjustment to accommodate scholarship monies in your budget.
- Respond to all requests for additional information from the FAO.
- Financial Aid awards can be viewed and accepted online through Self-Service's Financial Aid portal. The FAO will send you notification of your Electronic Award Letter upon receipt and processing of your completed FAFSA.
- Under FERPA regulations, account information for any student, regardless of dependency, cannot be discussed with third parties without the consent of the student. If you are a dependent student and wish to provide written consent to the Offices of Financial Aid and Student Financial Services to discuss your student account or financial aid with your parents or other relative, please complete an Authorization to Release Confidential Information and send or fax to either office. This applies as well to the spouse or other relative of independent students.
- If you have a remaining balance after financial aid is applied, you may sign up for the AMU Tuition Payment Plan or pay online by credit card, or electronic check (ACH).
- IMPORTANT: Institutional need-based grants are awarded as eligible SARs are received. Funds are limited so you are encouraged to submit your FAFSA as early as possible! AMU preferred date for FAFSA completion is April 1, 2010.
- Look for Fall Student Statements online using Self-Service. Verify all aid and payments are applied properly.
- Return your Remittance Form to Student Financial Services Office as early as possible. Everyone must return the printable Remittance Form. Please fill out the form and return it even if the bill will be entirely covered by aid or scholarships. Failure to return the form by the CYB date will result in the cancellation of a student's class registration and dorm room reservation. Payment for any uncleared portion of your base fees must accompany the Remittance Form, or paid on-line by the CYB date.
- All loan acceptance and related requirements should be completed (Stafford, Parent PLUS, Alternative) by July 1, 2010 in order to satisfy the tuition charges deadline of August 1, 2010.
- Make sure the Tuition Payment Plan is completed by July 20th to ensure the first payment on August 1st is charged to your account on time.
- The Fall 2010 Clearing Your Bill (CYB) day is August 5th. Failure to Clear Your Bill by this date may result in the cancellation of a student's class registration and dorm room reservation. A late registration fee of $100 will be charged if registration is not finalized prior to August 5th. Students accepted to AMU after July 1st will not be subject to this additional fee.
- Look for monthly Statements on Self-Service. Lab Fees, Music Fees, and Health Insurance Fees may be added to your account in mid September if applicable. These fees are due by October 31.
- Look for Spring Student Statements online using Self-Service. Verify all aid and payments are applied properly.
- Complete new Tuition Payment Plan for the Spring Semester. Make sure Tuition Payment Plan is completed by December 15th to ensure the first payment on January 1st is charged to your account on time.
- All loan acceptance and related requirements should be completed (Stafford, Parent PLUS, Alternative) by December 1st, 2010 in order to satisfy the CYB deadline of December 15, 2010.
- The Spring 2011 Clear Your Bill (CYB) day is December 15th. Failure to Clear Your Bill by this date will result in the cancellation of a student's class registration and dorm room reservation. A late registration fee of $100 will be charged if registration is not finalized prior to December 1st. Students accepted to AMU after November 15th will not be subject to this additional fee.